A gallery of vintage and abandoned gasoline stations in the United States.
Old Taylor Distillery is a formerly abandoned distillery along Glenn’s Creek near Frankfort, Kentucky. The complex is currently being restored for Castle & Key, an upstart distillery.
A gallery of abandoned residences in the United States.
The Big Woods, Red River & Lombard Railroad (BWRR&L) is a former narrow gauge railroad in Powell and Menifee counties in Kentucky. It was constructed circa 1910 to access the virgin forests of the Red River valley.
The East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Company (EBT) is a historic and mostly abandoned narrow-gauge railroad that operated between 1871 and 1956 in Pennsylvania. The EBT was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1964 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The railroad was added in 1996 to the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s list of America’s Most Endangered Places.
Sand Patch Tunnel is an abandoned 4,777-foot railroad tunnel that was constructed by the Pittsburgh & Connelsville Railroad in Pennsylvania.
A gallery of abandoned businesses in the United States.
The Kenoza Dell House is an abandoned tourist boarding house in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
A gallery of abandoned vehicles, including automobiles, boats, and tractors, in the United States.
The West Shore Hotel is a now-demolished tourist boarding house along Lake Huntington in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
A gallery of abandoned schools in the United States.
Charcoal timber, iron ore, and limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces that produced pig iron, munitions, and tools in the Between Rivers, Green River, Hanging Rock, Red River, and Rolling Fork Iron Regions in Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia.
Westland Mall is an abandoned shopping mall on the western fringes of Columbus, Ohio. One of four directionally-named shopping centers in the region, all but Southland were constructed by Jacobs, Visconsi & Jacobs.
Smallwood Pulp Stone Company quarried pulpstones from sandstone mines between 1914 and 1932 in eastern Ohio. The pulpstones were used to grind wood into a paste.
The No. 7 Concentrating Mill is a long abandoned mine and iron ore concentrating and separating plant in New York.
The Dennison Hotel was a hotel at 716-721 Main Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. The building was originally constructed for the G.B. Schulte Sons’ Company and later remodeled into the Dennison.
The Cherry Valley Coke Ovens consists of 200 disused coke ovens that were constructed by the Leetonia Iron and Coal Company circa 1866 in Leetonia, Ohio.
Armco Steel Ashland Works, now a part of AK Steel, is a mostly closed integrated steel mill near Ashland, Kentucky. It contains a mothballed pig-iron blast furnace, basic oxygen furnace, continuous caster, coating line, and other production facilities. At its height, the 700-acre plant also featured a coke facility, another pig-iron blast furnace, and a hot strip.
Lafayette Bloom School is an abandoned circa 1915 school in Cincinnati, Ohio. The junior high facility featured classrooms for 1,200 pupils, two gymnasiums, a swimming pool, an elaborate auditorium, and an indoor rooftop playground.
The A. E. Burckhardt House is the residence of Bavarian-born furrier Adam Edward Burkhardt in the Avondale neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. The mansion was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March 1980.
Merchants Ice and Cold Storage is an abandoned cold storage facility in the Smoketown neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. The complex was originally a part of the Schaefer-Meyer and Frank Fehr breweries.
The West Virginia Exposition & State Fair in Wheeling, West Virginia closed in 1937. The exposition hall was reused as a skating rink and for storage in later years before burning to the ground on January 1, 2020.
The German Evangelical Salem Reformed Church is a formerly abandoned church constructed in the High Victorian Gothic style in 1876 on Prentice Street in the California neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky.
Monarch Tobacco Works is an abandoned plug chewing tobacco, cigarette, and cigar factory in Louisville, Kentucky. It was used for Monarch Tobacco Company to produce plug chewing tobacco between 1901 and 1910, to manufacture cigarettes for the American Tobacco Company until the mid-1920s, and to assemble cigars for the American Cigar Company between 1930 and 1971.
The USS Sachem and USS Phenakite is an abandoned yacht that was used by the United States Navy from 1917 to 1919 and again from 1942 to 1945. It was later used as a tour boat before becoming abandoned on a small creek just yards from the Ohio River in northern Kentucky.
Sacred Heart Church is an abandoned Roman Catholic church in Buffalo, New York.
The Sattler Theater is an abandoned theater turned church in Buffalo, New York.
Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary, later known as Brushy Mountain Correctional Complex, is a former maximum-security prison in Morgan County, Tennessee. It was established in 1896 and operated for 113 years until 2009. Brushy Mountain reopened as a tourist attraction in 2018, which includes guided tours of the prison, a restaurant, gift shop, event venue, and a distillery.
The James K. Duke House is an antebellum, 11-room brick house constructed circa 1792 in Scott County, Kentucky.
Horace Burgess’ Treehouse, also known as the Minster’s Treehouse, was a treehouse and church in Crossville, Tennessee. Work on the treehouse began in 1993. It was closed to the public in 2012 and burned to the ground in October 2019.
The abandoned Warner & Swasey Observatory, constructed by Worchester Warner and Ambrose Swasey as a gift for Case School of Applied Science, is located in East Cleveland, Ohio.y
Knoxville College is a formerly abandoned liberal arts college in Knoxville, Tennessee. It reopened on a limited basis in 2018.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Lexington Subdivision is a mostly abandoned 109-mile route between Lexington and Ashland, Kentucky.
The Allegany County Poorhouse is an abandoned county home for the poor and mentally disabled located in western New York.
The Indiana Army Ammunition Plant (INAAP) is a former military ammunition and ordinance factory in Charlestown, Indiana. It was the largest gunpowder and ordinance facility of its type in the United States. INAAP was constructed after the passage of the first National Defense Appropriations Act. Four days after the enactment of the Act, the Munitions Program was passed in which the U.S. Ordinance Department sponsored private manufacturing corporations to design and produce ammunition factories, producing smokeless gunpowder and other ordinances.
The Big Muskie is a former dragline excavator for the Central Ohio Coal Company near Cumberland, Ohio. All that remains of what was one of the world’s largest earth-moving machines is the bucket, now part of a park on reclaimed strip mine lands.
The American Ice Company is an abandoned ice manufacturing plant along West Franklin Street in Baltimore, Maryland. Constructed in 1911, American Ice served the growing city of Baltimore. A railroad connection enabled it to ship ice to clients in New York City and Washington, D.C. It remained in operation until 2004. The facility is being redeveloped into a mixed-use event, commercial, and community facility.
National Acme, a merger of two notable machine tool manufacturers, is an abandoned factory in Cleveland, Ohio. At its height, National Acme was one of the largest manufacturers of machine tools in the United States.
St. Joseph Church is a former Byzantine Catholic church in the Union-Miles Park neighborhood in Cleveland, Ohio. It featured Mission Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival styles. The church closed in 1980 because of a declining congregation and was repurposed for another church before becoming abandoned in 2002. The building was removed in 2016.
Old Hickory is circa 1880 Italianate residence in Coudersport, Pennsylvania. The house was later renovated into The Old Hickory, an inn and tavern. It is being lovingly restored after years of abandonment.
The Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine & Beattyville Railroad (RNI&B, Riney-B) is a former railroad between Frankfort and Beattyville, Kentucky. In its original form, the RNI&B extended from Versailles and Irvine, Kentucky. It was acquired by another railroad in 1899 and extended to Beattyville and Airedale. Another acquisition extended the line west to Frankfort, giving the RNI&B a total of 110 miles.
The Fostoria Glass Company, a now-demolished glassware plant in Moundsville, West Virginia, produced fine quality blown stemware and glassware adorned with custom designs and government seals. At the company’s peak in the 1950s, it was producing over eight million pieces of glass annually and was the largest maker of handmade glassware in the nation.
Our Lady Help of Christians Church was an abandoned circa 1906 church in the East Liberty neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was demolished in October 2019.
Cedar Hill State School is an abandoned mental institution in central Massachusetts. It was the first publicly supported institution for people with intellectual disabilities in the Western Hemisphere.
The Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, later known as Weston State Hospital, is a former mental hospital in Weston, West Virginia. Weston State Hospital was listed as a National Historic Landmark in 1990.
The Millard F. Field Building, located at Winchester Avenue and 17th Street in downtown Ashland, Kentucky, was home to the Field Department Store and Sears.
The Buckeye Ordnance Works manufactured ammonium nitrate explosives for three years during World War II in South Point, Ohio. The complex was later used in the production of agricultural products, bio-fuel, and various chemicals.
A gallery of abandoned industries in the United States.
Uplands is an abandoned 42-room Victorian-style mansion in Baltimore, Maryland. It was first used as a summer home for Mary Frick Garrett Jacobs and later renovated for the Uplands Home for Church Women. It then became a part of New Psalmist Baptist Church.
The People’s Union Bank & Trust Company Building in McKeesport, Pennsylvania is the former home of the People’s Bank & Trust Company and professional offices.
After being vacant for a decade, the circa 1845 Worcester County Courthouse in Worcester, Massachusetts is being repurposed into apartments and a museum.
The Ohio State Reformatory, best known for being the setting for the movie The Shawshank Redemption, is a historic circa 1896 prison north of Mansfield, Ohio. It was converted into a tourist attraction after closing in 1990.
The First German Reformed Church is formerly abandoned church in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. It is being stabilized and renovated into a climbing gymnasium.
The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish contains an abandoned church, school, and parish house in the Newburgh neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio.
The printing operations for the Crowell-Collier Publishing Company, then the world’s largest magazine publishing house, was located on High Street in Springfield, Ohio.
Castle Hill State Hospital is a closed asylum in central Massachusetts. Influenced by a traditional New England town common, Castle Hill opened in 1896 and remained in use until 2003. It was the Commonwealth’s first facility built specifically for long-term, high-need chronic patients.
The O’Hara Waltham Dial Company is an abandoned clock face manufacturer in Waltham, Massachusetts. The building was later used to produce traffic signals, luggage, and canvases.
Ohio River Lock No. 32 is a former Ohio River lock near Vanceburg, Kentucky, in use by the United States Army Corps of Engineers from 1922 to 1964.
Old Crow Distillery is a former distillery in central Kentucky and produced Old Grand Dad, Bourbon DeLuxe, Sunny Brook and its namesake, Old Crow. The plant closed in 1987 as a result of a buy-out from competitor Jim Bean. The site today is partially reused as Glenns Creek Distilling.
The Cooley Hotel is a never completed hotel in Newcomerstown, Ohio. It used as a showroom and repair shop for farm machinery, office and manufacturing space for a canvas product company, and as a museum.
The Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad (DT&I) is a defunct railroad that connected Ironton, Ohio to Michigan. It had its beginnings as the Iron Railroad in southern Ohio, and through acquisitions and mergers, the DT&I stretched for over 370 miles from Ironton to automobile manufacturing plants in Michigan.
The Pilgrim Glass Company formerly operated a former hand-blown glass factory in Ceredo, West Virginia.
Schmulbach Brewery is a former brewery in Wheeling, West Virginia. It was once an integral part of the city’s rich German heritage.
Proctor’s Palace Theatre is an abandoned twin theatre, with seating for over 4,200, in downtown Newark, New Jersey.
The Hoch Congregational Church is an abandoned Protestant church turned community service center in Massachusetts.
The Curtis Memorial Presbyterian Church, later used for the Robinette Free Will Baptist Church, is an abandoned historic church in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is notable for its unique Richardsonian Romanesque architecture and theatrical, auditorium-plan sanctuary.
The Frenchburg Presbyterian College is a former school and hospital operated by the United Presbyterian Church in Frenchburg, Kentucky. It was the only hospital between Lexington and Ashland for a period of time.
Mountain State Hospital is a now-demolished hospital that was at the corner of Virginia and Morris streets in Charleston, West Virginia.
The Ruddles Mill School is a former school in Ruddles Mill, Kentucky. It was dedicated on October 1, 1923, and closed in 1989.
The Brimstone & New River Railroad is an out-of-service railroad between the Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railway (CNO&TP) at New River southeast to Lone Mountain in Tennessee.
A gallery of abandoned railroads, depots, supporting buildings, cars and locomotives in the United States.
The Coster Repair Shops for the Southern Railway was constructed in 1895 in Knoxville, Tennessee. At its peak, it employed over 1,200.
A gallery of abandoned or neglected communities in the United States.
Thurmond, a storied town located along the New River in Fayette County, West Virginia, has a population of five. The community was once an important stop for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C…
Jewell Valley, Virginia is a former coal camp constructed by the Clinchfield Coal Company in the Buchanan coal field.
The Cargill Superior Elevator is an abandoned grain elevator along the Buffalo River in Buffalo, New York.
The Louisville Industrial Park in Louisville, Kentucky consisted of the Atlantic Tank & Barrel Company and Tobacco By-Products & Chemical Corporation.
Alabaster is a historic mining complex along the shores of Lake Huron in Michigan. It consists of an open-pit gypsum mine and the remains of processing buildings, shops, offices, houses, and outbuildings. It also contains an abandoned railroad and the remains of an elevated marine tramway that spans 1½ miles into Saginaw Bay.
The Bigelow-Cooper Company is a former hardwood flooring manufacturer in Bay City, Michigan.
Bennettsville Power Station is an abandoned coal power plant in New York, in operation between 1948 and 2000.
The Louisville & Southern Railway Lexington to Lawrenceburg Division is a partly active and abandoned railroad in central Kentucky.
A gallery of abandoned bridges in the United States.
The Elk Creek Coal Company Preparation Plant is a former coal preparation plant in Emmett, West Virginia.
Alpha Portland Cement Company is a former cement manufacturing plant in Ironton, Ohio and was demolished circa 2010.
River Valley Hospital, formerly known as the Lawrence County General Hospital, is a former medical center on South 9th Street in Ironton, Ohio.
The Man Miners Memorial Hospital is a now-demolished medical facility in Man, West Virginia. It was later the Man Appalachian Regional Hospital.
Paris Tuberculosis Hospital is a former tuberculosis hospital that operated between 1950 and the 1970s in Paris, Kentucky.
John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital is a former medical center on West Main Street in Georgetown, Kentucky.
Corbin Municipal Hospital, later the Southeast Kentucky Baptist Hospital, is a former medical center in Corbin, Kentucky.
The Spirella Company manufactured corsets in Niagara Falls, New York. The factory was later renovated into a nursing home before relocating in 2003.
The Otis Elevator Company is a former factory along Northland Avenue in Buffalo, New York. The site was later reused by Curtiss-Wright to manufacture aircraft components.
A gallery of abandoned churches in the United States.
The Mt. Sterling High School is a former school turned assisted living facility, medical office and apartment complex in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky.
Blue Horizon is a historic 1,346-seat former boxing venue in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Ring magazine voted it the number-one boxing venue in the world, and Sports Illustrated noted it as the last great boxing venue in the country. Blue Horizon has been featured in the films Rocky V and Annapolis.
A branch of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad served the Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant (USEC) in Piketon, Ohio.
Lakin Industrial School for Colored Boys is a former reformatory school for African-Americans in Lakin, West Virginia.
Universal Atlas Cement, a former division of United States Steel Corporation (USS), is a former cement plant in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania. It closed in 1979.
Crockery City Brewery is a former brewery in East Liverpool, Ohio. Named after the city’s famed pottery industry, Crockery City opened in 1900 and closed in 1952.
The Victoreen Instrument Company is a former manufacturer of x-ray dosimeter equipment in Cleveland, Ohio. It was considered to be the “first nuclear company.”
The Harvard Company and Weber Dental Manufacturing Company are former dental furniture and equipment manufacturers in Canton, Ohio. It’s factory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Picway Power Plant is a demolished American Electric Power coal power plant in Lockbourne, Ohio. It is misnamed after the county it resides in, Pickaway.
The Oneida & Western Railroad is an abandoned rail line between Jamestown and Oneida, Tennessee. The line served vast pockets of virgin timber and coal mines before it was abandoned in 1954 after many years of financial troubles.
Brown’s Hotel and Country Club is an abandoned resort in the Borscht Belt of the Catskill Mountains of New York.
Walnut Creek School is an abandoned school in upstate New York.
Champion Paper, which later became Champion International Paper, International Paper and then Smart Papers, is a former paper mill in Hamilton, Ohio. At its height, Champion Paper was part of “The Paper Valley,” aptly named due to the concentration of paper mills along the Great Miami River and the Miami & Erie Canal, with 30 separate mills operating in Crescentville, Port Union, Rialto, Hamilton, Woodsdale, Rockdale, Excello, Middletown, Franklin, Miamisburg, West Carrollton, and Dayton.
The Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad, also known as the Shawmut Line, is a partially abandoned railroad between Freeport Junction and Brockway, Pennsylvania. The P&S historically operated as an independent railroad that moved coal and other aggregates in west-central Pennsylvania.
The Lowville & Beaver River Railroad is a disused railroad between Lowville and Croghan, New York.
St. Ann’s School is an abandoned 500-room college preparatory academy and military school in New York. It operated from 1889 until 1991 when financial considerations forced it to close.
Named after the United State’s 1976 bicentennial, Century III Mall is an abandoned shopping center in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania. It was the third-largest enclosed mall in the world at 1.6 million square feet at the time of its completion in 1979.
The Hotel Belvedere was an abandoned 28-room hotel in Apollo, Pennsylvania. The inn was constructed in 1905 by Joseph Giannini and later became an apartment building before being mostly abandoned in the 1970s. It burned on July 23, 2019.
The Jamestown & Franklin Railroad is an abandoned railroad between Jamestown and Oil City, Pennsylvania. It included a branch to Ashtabula, Ohio.
The Harding-Jones Paper Company is a former paper mill in Excello, Ohio. A significant, early example of Ohio industry, the mill was mostly owned by the Harding and Jones families for most of its operation. The mill, adjacent to the first lock completed on the Miami-Erie Canal, also includes two residences, a carriage house, and a canal lock.
The Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley Railroad is a heritage railroad that operates between Cooperstown Junction and Milford, New York. Significant portions of the line are either abandoned or out-of-service.
Mountain Drive-In Theater is an abandoned drive-in theater between Liberty and Loch Sheldrake New York.
The Mad River Power Plant is a demolished Ohio Edison coal power plant along the Mad River in Springfield, Ohio.
The Lake Shore Electric Railway is a former interurban railway between Cleveland and Toledo, Ohio. Several LSE cars are abandoned in a rural farm field.
The Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway (W&LE) is a Class I railroad that operates mostly within Ohio, and consists of several abandoned or disused branches. Throughout its long history, the W&LE has been a part of the Nickel Plate, Norfolk & Western and Norfolk Southern. In 1989, the original W&LE was dissolved as a corporate entity only to be renewed as the W&LE in 1990 by a group of investors, acquiring most of the original W&LE routes from Norfolk Southern.
West Virginia Motor Speedway, an abandoned dirt oval racetrack in north-central West Virginia, closed in 2013.
The Morehead & North Fork Railroad is a former railroad between the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in Morehead south to Redwine, Kentucky.
The Emery Theatre is a closed theater that adjoins the former Ohio Mechanics Institute in the historic Over-the-Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Madison, Indianapolis & Lafayette Railroad connected Madison to Indianapolis, Indiana. It was the state’s first railroad.
The circa 1898 Brookes Building was located at the southwest corner of 5th and Market Street in downtown East Liverpool, Ohio. It was razed in 2016 for a new apartment complex.
St. Peter and Paul Church is a former Roman Catholic church in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The parish was active from 1860 to 1992.
The 49-mile Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Pickens Branch connected Weston to Pickens, West Virginia.
Fairview School, designed by Henry E. Siter in the Romanesque Revival style, was built in 1888-90 in the Fairview neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Windsor School is a former school located in the Walnut Hills neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Littleton is a former town in Wetzel County, West Virginia and has the distinction of having the lowest per capita income in the state at $6,036 – one of the lowest in the United States. Over half of the population of 198 are below the poverty line.
The Chicago, St. Louis & New Orleans Railroad Paducah-East Cairo is a former railroad between Paducah and East Cairo, Kentucky. The company operated from 1878, a product of a merger between the New Orleans, Jackson & Northern Railroad and the Central Mississippi Railroad, until 1951 when it was merged into the Illinois Central Railroad and operated as a subsidiary.
Linwood Public School is a former school in the Linwood neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio.
The McKinley School is a restored circa 1876 and 1919 school along Eastern Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The New River, Holston and Western Railroad is a former railroad between the Norfolk & Western Railway in Narrows to Suiter, Virginia. The 43-mile line followed Wolf Creek or its tributaries for its entire length.
The T.W. Samuels Distillery is an abandoned distillery in Deatsville, Kentucky.
The Texas Company Oil Refinery is an abandoned oil refinery in Texola, Kentucky.
Sue Bennett College, a former private college that operated between 1897 and 1997, was located in London, Kentucky. Affiliated with the Women’s Division of the General Board of Global Ministries, the national organization of the United Methodist Church, it began as an elementary school before becoming a two-year college.
The Ohio & Kentucky Railway connected the Lexington & Eastern Railway near Jackson to Cannel City, Kentucky.
City Mills served as a warehouse for the Sandusky & Mansfield Railroad and then as a mill for City Mills and Gilbert, Waugh & Co. in Mansfield, Ohio.
Broadway School is a former public school along Broadway in Hazard, Kentucky.
A gallery of abandoned theaters in the United States.
The Spirit House is a historic circa 1865 residence and meeting hall in New York. The uniquely designed building was used by those involved in the Spiritualist Movement.
A gallery of abandoned religious buildings in the United States.
The Dayton Arcade is a historic collection of five inner-connecting buildings in downtown Dayton, Ohio with a glass-domed rotunda as its centerpiece. It is in the process of being restored and reopened.
The Chesapeake Western Railway is an abandoned railroad between Stokesville, Harrisonburg, and Elkton, Virginia. Despite its early potential as a through route between Cincinnati and Washington D.C., and later as a feeder to the coal mines in West Virginia, the railroad never lived up to its potential.
The Stearns and Foster Company is a now-demolished mattress factory in Lockland, Ohio. It was the most substantial cotton consumer in the United States at its peak.
The West Virginia Central & Pittsburg Railway (WVC&P) is a former railroad between Elkins, West Virginia and Cumberland, Maryland that served coal and timber interests.
The Loomis Tuberculosis Hospital, also known as the Loomis Memorial Sanitarium for Consumptives, was an abandoned hospital near Liberty, New York.
Paddy’s Run Power Station is a demolished coal-fired power plant by the Louisville Gas & Electric Corporation in Louisville, Kentucky.
The Big Four Railroad Depot is a former railroad depot for the Big Four Railroad in Springfield, Ohio. It was demolished in 1969.
The Tecumseh Building, also known as the Francis Drolla Building, is a vacant office building in downtown Springfield, Ohio. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
The Lexington Mall is a former indoor shopping mall on Richmond Road in Lexington, Kentucky. Completed in 1975 by Saul Centers, it was the second indoor shopping center in the city.
East Hills Mall opened in 1973 along US Route 60 near Huntington, West Virginia. It has since been redeveloped as the East Hills Professional Center, an office park.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is an abandoned Roman Catholic church in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Louisville Varnish Company is an abandoned cabinet varnish factory in Louisville, Kentucky.
The Campbell Street Power Station is a former power plant in use between 1899 and 1921 for the Louisville Railway Co. in Louisville, Kentucky. The site was reused as a grain elevator and warehouse for Ballard & Ballard Mills between 1947 and 1961.
Plibricore Refractories is a former fire brick factory in Oak Hill, Ohio.
Peter’s Cartridge Company is a closed smokeless ordnance and shotshell ammunition factory in Kings Mill, Ohio. The 71-acre site produced artillery between 1887 and 1944.
Shadyside Village, better known as Yellow Dog, is a mostly vacant community along Buffalo Creek in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. As of 1987, the village boasted 148 residents, 35 dogs, and “innumerable” number of cats.
The Charles Schroer Mortuary is a former mortuary and funeral home in Mansfield, Ohio. The building has since been rehabilitated for the Phoenix Brewing Company.
The Mansfield Savings Bank is a former financial institution at the corner of West Fourth and North Main streets in downtown Mansfield, Ohio that operated between 1914 and the early 1980s.
Allegheny Asylum for the Insane is a former state hospital in New York. It became the Allegheny State Hospital in 1890, the Allegheny Psychiatric Center in 1974 and the Allegheny Drug Treatment Center in 1995.
St. Joseph Riverside Hospital is an abandoned medical center in Warren, Ohio. It closed in 1996 after a merger.
The Toronto Power Plant is a former coal combustion plant along the Ohio River in Toronto, Ohio. It consisted of seven generating units that were put into operation between 1925 and the 1940s.
New Boston Coke was a former component of the Portsmouth Steel complex in New Boston, Ohio. Due to foreign competition and outdated technology, the integrated mill was closed in 1980 while the coke plant remained in operation until 2002.
The Manley House is an abandoned Italianate style residence in Richfield Springs, New York. It was constructed circa 1850 by Dr. Hoarce Manley, a physician, graduate of Fairfield Medical College, and surgeon-major in the War of 1812.
Bluestone School is a former circa 1948 elementary and high school for black students in Bramwell, West Virginia. After the local school district had integrated students into all of its schools by the early 1960s, Bluestone was reused for elementary school students.
The Superior Portland Cement Company is a former cement manufacturing plant along the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad in Superior, Ohio.
Pickens, West Virginia was founded in the 1890s as a lumber and coal mining community.
The Utica School is a former school in Utica, Indiana, and was constructed in 1873 as the First District School in Utica Township.
St. Boniface Catholic Church is an abandoned Roman Catholic church in Chicago, Illinois. It was constructed between 1902-04 and closed in 1990. The property is proposed to be converted into residential units and a music school.
Lee Clay Products, a former brick factory in Clearfield, Kentucky, was in operation until 1970.
The abandoned Church of the United Brethren in Christ building is located in McKeesport, Pennsylvania.
Wilson, Maryland, along the North Branch Potomac River and West Virginia Central & Pittsburg Railway, was developed around the timber industry.
Kempton, Maryland is a former company town along the North Branch Potomac River and West Virginia Central & Pittsburg Railway.
The Columbiana County Infirmary, for the aged and disabled indigent, was located in Columbiana County, Ohio.
The Grand Theatre, located on St. Clair Street in downtown Frankfort, Kentucky, opened in 1911, closed in 1966, and reopened in 2016.
The historic Wheeler-Knight House is an abandoned residence along the National Pike in Centerville, Pennsylvania.
January & Wood Company is a former cotton mill at West Second Street in Maysville, Kentucky. It closed in 2003.
Waveland, located in Danville, Kentucky, was constructed between 1797 and 1800 by Willis Green.
Henry, West Virginia is a former company town constructed by the Henry Brothers Coal & Coke Company, a subsidiary of the Davis Coal & Coke Company.
The Cleveland & Marietta Railway (C&M) is a former railroad between Marietta and Dover and the Harmer Connection in southeast Ohio.
The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, commonly referred to as the Panhandle Route, was part of the Pennsylvania Railroad system that connected Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Bradford, Ohio where the line split into routes to Chicago, Illinois, Indianapolis, Indiana, and East St. Louis, Illinois.
The Central Ohio Railway is a former railroad that connected Columbus to Bellaire, Ohio at the Ohio River. The line played an integral role in the development of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O), especially after a bridge was completed over the Ohio River that enabled eastern markets to connect with Chicago and the Midwest. A railroad was first conceived between Wheeling, West Virginia and the Midwest in the mid-19th century as an efficient manner in transporting freight and passengers from the east coast west into Ohio and ultimately Chicago.
The Wheeling Terminal Railway (WT) is a former 9½ mile railroad between Martins Ferry, Ohio and Wheeling, West Virginia.
Reymann Brewery is an abandoned brewery in Wheeling, West Virginia. The city was once known as the “Beer Belly” of the state for its 130 taverns and robust German community.
Memorial Hall is a former library, city hall and jail at Railroad and North 4th streets in Ironton, Ohio. It was mostly demolished in 2014.
The William Tarr House, the homestead of A.J. Hitt and William Tarr, is an abandoned antebellum near Millersburg, Kentucky.
Parker Tobacco Company is a former tobacco purchasing, processing, marketing, and commercial storage operation in Maysville, Kentucky. It was demolished in 2011.
The Millersburg Military Institute is a former military academy in Millersburg, Kentucky.
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) Fairmont Subdivision was once the B&O’s mainline between Cumberland, Maryland and Wheeling, West Virginia. The segment from Fairmont to Wheeling was essentially abandoned in 1956.
The Hocking Valley Railway is a former railroad in Ohio, with a mainline that stretched from Toledo to Pomeroy via Athens and Columbus. It featured the Monday Creek and Snow branches as significant feeders and the Wellston & Jackson Belt Railway.
The Ro-Na Theater, located along South Third Street in downtown Ironton, Ohio, opened in 1949 and was billed as southern Ohio’s “finest theater.”
Located at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers surrounded by levees, Cairo, Illinois was strategically important during the Civil War but today is one of the poorest cities in the nation after decades of racial turbulence.
Olive Hill High School is a former school in downtown Olive Hill, Kentucky. Briefly abandoned, the buildings are being renovated to house storefronts and community space.
The Medical Center at Scottsville, a former hospital in Scottsville, Kentucky, opened as the Allen County War Memorial Hospital in July 1952.
Coketon, West Virginia is the former central mining and coking facility of the Davis Coal & Coke Company.
The Burton Pike residence, constructed prior to the American Civil War, is located along Burton Pike in Scott County, Kentucky. The four bay-wide house features pegged windows, a Greek Revival era porch, built-in bookcases, recessed windows and separate staircases to unconnected second-story rooms.
Waverly Hills Tuberculosis Hospital is a former tuberculosis hospital that operated between 1910 and 1961 in Louisville, Kentucky. It reopened as the Woodhaven Geriatrics Center between 1963 and 1981.
Douglas, West Virginia is a former company town of Cumberland Coal & Coke Company.
The Flemingsburg & Northern Railroad was a standard-gauge railroad from the Louisville & Nashville line at Flemingsburg Junction to Hillsboro, Kentucky. It was financially plagued and reorganized on seven different occasions before being abandoned in 1955.
Monitor School is a former school in Coal Grove, Ohio that operated between 1905 and 1995.
The Fisher-Byington House is a former antebellum residence in Danville, Kentucky, constructed by Robert Russell, Jr. circa 1845. It was named after two of its more prominent residents.
Ohio River Lock & Dam No. 34 is a former Ohio River lock and wicket dam in Chilo, Ohio, in use between 1925 to 1964.
The Higginsport School is a formerly abandoned school under renovations in Higginsport, Ohio.
Ironton High School is an active school in Ironton, Ohio that was partly demolished and rebuilt between 2007 and 2010.
The Vernon Manor is a former hotel in Cincinnati, Ohio that had a reputation for being “the place to stay” for traveling musicians. It has since been renovated into offices for the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.
The Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railway (CL&N) is a former railroad that connected Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio.
Brookfield Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station near Brookfield, Ohio.
St. Andrew Catholic Church is an abandoned Roman Catholic church that served the Avondale neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio from 1875 and 2010.
Prince, West Virginia is a small community that is best known for its Art Moderne passenger depot for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad.
The Cincinnati, Georgetown & Portsmouth Railroad (CG&P) is an abandoned railroad between Cincinnati and Russellville, Ohio. It was intended to extend as far east as Portsmouth.
The Lafayette Building is a former commercial high-rise bordered by West Lafayette Boulevard, Michigan Avenue, and Shelby Street in downtown Detroit, Michigan. The Lafayette was erected in 1923-24, closed in 1997 and demolished in 2009-10.
Fayette and South Fayette, West Virginia were established along the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) when it was completed through the New River Valley in January 1873.
The Cincinnati Street Connecting Railway (CSC) is a former 2½-mile railroad that connected the Indianapolis & Cincinnati and Little Miami in Cincinnati, Ohio.
King Solomon Baptist Church is a former church notable for its Tudor Revival-style sanctuary and Art Deco-style auditorium at Fourteenth and Marquette streets in the Northwest Goldberg neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan. It was built for Temple Baptist, a conservative, pro-segregationist church, it later became home to King Solomon Baptist Church.
The Carlyle Labold Tile and Brick Company is a former tile and brick factory in Petersburg (Coal Grove), Ohio.
Elkmont, Tennessee was a pioneer Appalachian community, a logging town, and resort in the Little River valley in Tennessee.
The Hotel Kanawha served as Charleston, West Virginia’s premier hotel between 1903 and 1965. It served as the state headquarters of John F. Kennedy’s 1960 primary campaign and was later used from the 1960s to 1997 as the site of the state’s Job Corps. Post-closure, the Hotel Kanawha was slated to be restored into a boutique hotel but financing for the plan collapsed and it was demolished.
The Cincinnati & Westwood Railroad is a former suburban railway from the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad to Westwood, then a suburb of Cincinnati, Ohio. It carried very little traffic from its inception to its closure in 1941.
Metro General Hospital is a former medical center that closed in 1998 in Nashville, Tennessee. The former hospital site has since been redeveloped into the Rolling Hill Mill development.
Holy Rosary Catholic Church is a former Roman Catholic church in Clarksburg, West Virginia that was established in 1906 for the growing Slovak community.
The Cincinnati & Muskingum Valley Railroad connected the cities of Morrow, Wilmington, Washington Court House, Circleville, Zanesville and Trinway in Ohio.
Hillside Nursing Home is a now demolished 67-bed nursing home complex in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Gary, West Virginia is a former company town in McDowell County and was named after U.S. Steel Chairman Judge Elbert Gary. Elbert, Filbert, Ream, Thorpe, and Wilcoe were satellite coal camps around Gary, and for decades, the town held the distinction of having one of the largest preparation plants in the world.
Tewksbury Hospital is an active 350-bed mental institution in Tewksbury, Massachusetts. It is also home to eight residential substance abuse programs, several non-profit and for-profit private entities, and the Public Health Museum. Originally known as the Tewksbury Almshouse, it was renamed to Tewksbury State Hospital in 1900, to Tewksbury State Infirmary in 1909, to Tewksbury State Hospital and Infirmary in 1939, and finally to Tewksbury Hospital in 1959.
The Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (C&E) is an active and out-of-service a railroad from Idlewild in Norwood to Portsmouth, Ohio operated today by Norfolk Southern and the Cincinnati East Terminal Railway. At its western terminus, it connected with the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern (CL&N) and the Pennsylvania Railroad Richmond Division (PRR) and to the Scioto Valley Railway at its eastern terminus.
The Bellaire Interstate Toll Bridge is a closed roadway crossing of the Ohio River between Benwood, West Virginia and Bellaire, Ohio.
The South Fork Grassy Creek Bridge formerly carried KY Route 1657 over South Fork Grassy Creek in Pendleton County, Kentucky. The Pratt through truss was closed to traffic in 1964.
Ohio River Lock No. 31 is a former Ohio River lock near Kirkville, Kentucky, in use by the United States Army Corps of Engineers from 1917 to 1964.
The Barboursville Clay Manufacturing Company is a former brick factory that operated from 1904 to 1979 in Barboursville, West Virginia.
The Gamble House is a demolished residence at 2918 Werk Road in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was the home of James Norris Gamble, an inventor, humanitarian, and son of Proctor & Gamble’s co-founder.
The Dorrance Colliery is an abandoned colliery that was operated by the Lehigh Valley Coal Company between 1880 and 1959.
Webatuck State School is a partially closed state institution for the developmentally disabled in New York. It was one of six state residential schools operated by the Department of Mental Hygiene, offering full medical care, training, and education for its residents. The goal of the state school was assisting mentally disabled children in attaining the highest possible level of self-sufficiency to be able to live outside of an institution.
The circa 1964 Beth-El Synagogue was home to a shuttered Jewish Orthodox congregation on Long Island in New York.
Spring Grove Mausoleum is an abandoned mausoleum in Rhode Island.
The Stone Clove Boarding House is an abandoned tourist boarding house in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
The Garred House, known as “the most commodious stone house in the Sandy Valley,” is a demolished historic residence south of Louisa, Kentucky. The residence, along with a burial vault and chapel, were listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Middle Creek Subdivision extended from the C&O’s Big Sandy Subdivision at Prestonsburg, Kentucky to David.
The Portsmouth Brewing and Ice Company was home to the circa 1842 Portsmouth Brewery, Portsmouth, Ohio’s first commercial brewery.
A gallery of abandoned hospitals in the United States.
Eastern State Hospital, the second oldest continuously operating psychiatric facility in the United States, and the first west of the Allegheny Mountains, is located in Lexington, Kentucky.
Westborough State Hospital is an abandoned state mental institution in Massachusetts. Regarded as the second homoeopathic state hospital in the nation, the campus was impacted by the effects of deinstitutionalisation in the latter half of the 20th century and abandoned in 2010. Westborough was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
The Crosley Radio Building in Cincinnati, Ohio was home to Crosley Radio, the largest manufacturer of table-top radios in the nation.
Clyffside Brewing Company is a former brewery on West McMicken Avenue in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio. It began in 1933 when Paul Esselborn, who was educated at the Royal Bavarian School of Brewing in Germany, organized the company in former Mohawk Brewery buildings. The company’s signature selections included Felsenbrau beer and Old Hickory Ale that was “aged in the hills.” Sans Prohibition, beer was brewed on the site for 111 years, the longest of any brewery in the city.
The John Kauffman Brewing Company, a defunct brewery at 1622 Vine Street in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio, was known for its Gilt Edge, Columbia, and Old Lager beers.
Schmidt Brothers Brewery is a defunct brewery at 135 and 138 East McMicken Avenue in Over-the-Rhine, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Central Islip State Hospital is a partially abandoned and reused state hospital in New York. It began in 1887 as an experimental farm colony of the New York City Lunatic Asylum, which became the Manhattan State Hospital for the Insane in 1896 and finally Central Islip State Hospital in 1905. At its peak, Central Islip was the nation’s second-biggest psychiatric hospital.
The Ault & Wiborg Company was located at 417 East 7th Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. It was built in 1930 for the Queen City Printing Company, a manufacturer of printing inks, dry color dyes, and pigments derived from coal-tar. The complex was demolished in 2009.
Eagle Avenue Bridge is an abandoned vertical lift Pennsylvania through truss crossing that carried Eagle Avenue over the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio.
The Henderson Union Station is an abandoned passenger station built for the Louisville & Nashville (L&N) and Illinois Central (IC) railroads in Henderson, Kentucky.
Raceland is a former a horse racing track in Chinnville, Kentucky (now known as Raceland), operating between 1924 and 1928.
Beechmont Mall was enclosed shopping center near Cincinnati, Ohio. It was constructed in 1969, demolished in 2003, and replaced with Anderson Towne Center.
The Guyandotte Hotel is a long abandoned hotel in the coalfields of West Virginia. Guests in the hotel over the years included then-Senator John F. Kennedy, United Mine Worker’s President John L. Lewis, Babe Ruth, Will Rogers, and other dignitaries.
The Lattice Bridge is a closed Whipple through truss bridge on Lattice Bridge Road over the Genesee River in Allegany County, New York.
Good Faith Cemetery is an abandoned graveyard in Pennsylvania. Outfitted with a reinforced concrete mausoleum adorned with granite and Italian marble, it was all but abandoned in 2003 and condemned in 2015 because of absentee owners and a lack of maintenance.
The Buchanan Fuel Krypton Tipple is a demolished coal tipple near a small surface coal mine in Kyrpton, Kentucky.
M.C. Napier High School is a former high school along the banks of the North Fork Kentucky River in Hazard, Kentucky. The school was named after M.C. Napier who played for the Hazard Navajos from 1969 to 1973.
Hayswood Hospital is a former medical center in Maysville, Kentucky.
The D.L. Moore Distillery is a former bourbon distillery near Burgin, Kentucky. It was founded in 1873 by Daniel Lawson Moore.
The 36-mile Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Dawkins Subdivision extended from West Van Lear to Evanston, Kentucky. The former coal hauling branch featured three grades of 1% to 1.25%, two tunnels, and 35 bridges.
The Book Cadillac Hotel, named after a French fur trader, is a restored hotel in downtown Detroit, Michigan. Completed in December 1924, the Book Cadillac declined in the 1960s after violent race riots swept the city. It was abandoned in 1984 but restored in 2007-08 to become the Westin Book-Cadillac Detroit.
Mt. Sterling Baptist Church is a closed church in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky. It was one of the first churches organized by the Baptists west of the Allegheny Mountains in 1796.
The Warren County Orphan Asylum and Children’s Home, later known as the Mary Haven Home for Boys, was located along Shakertown Pike near Lebanon, Ohio.
The Detroit House of Correction, also referred to as DeHoCo, was a former penitentiary complex near Detroit, Michigan. Originally located in the city of Detroit, it was relocated to Plymouth and Northville townships between 1920 and 1931. DeHoCo closed in 2009 for budgetary reasons and was demolished in 2016.
The Friars Club is a non-profit social service organization in Cincinnati, Ohio that is dedicated to serving at-risk and disadvantaged children through organized sports, activity, nutrition and fitness. It once operated a facility in the CUF neighborhood.
The American Viscose Company, whose main plant was located in Marcus Hook, Pennsylvania, was the first to manufacture artificial silk, rayon, in the United States. The Marcus Hook plant made rayon between 1910 and 1954, and cellophane film between 1958 and 1977.
Denmar Sanitarium is a repurposed tuberculosis hospital for African-Americans in Denmar, West Virginia. It became the Denmar State Hospital in 1957 and closed in 1990. It reopened in 1993 as a state prison.
St. Stephen Magyar Church is an abandoned Roman Catholic church located in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. It was the first Hungarian Roman Catholic Church in the state and only the fifth constructed in the United States at the time of its completion in 1901.
Oneil Road Bridge is a closed circa 1913 Baltimore through truss over the Seneca River on Oneil Road in Cayuga County, New York.
Town Line Bridge is an endangered Lenticular through truss over the Otselic River on Town Line Road in Cortland County, New York. It is one of 13 extant examples of its type remaining in the state.
Tennessee State Penitentiary is a former state prison that operated from 1831 to 1992 near Nashville, Tennessee.
The Caneadea Bridge is a closed bridge that carried East Hill Road over the Genesee River in Caneadea, New York. The historic crossing was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 for its significance as it was the oldest and longest of two surviving camelback through trusses in the state.
The Campton High School is a former high school in Campton, Kentucky. It was the first publicly funded high school in Wolfe County and constructed during the Great Depression with funding from the Federal Works Project Administration (WPA). It opened in 1942.
Lee Plaza is an abandoned Art Deco styled luxury apartment building in Detroit, Michigan. It is listed as a State Historic Site and is on the National Register of Historic Places. During its heyday, the complex was known for its catchphrase: “You will never miss your home when you stay at the Lee Plaza.”
The Ashland Tuberculosis Hospital in Ashland, Kentucky was a tuberculosis medical facility for the northeast part of the state.
The Minnewaska Resort and Country Club is a former resort in the Borscht Belt of the Catskill Mountains of New York that was in operation from 1903 to 2009.
Eagles Lodge No. 336 is a former Mansfield Fraternal Order of Eagles Lodge at 129 North Main Street in downtown Mansfield, Ohio.
The Hudepohl Brewing Company is an abandoned brewery complex in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was initially located in the Over-the-Rhine neighborhood and later relocated to the Herman Leckman Brewing Company in the Queensgate neighborhood. Hudepohl vacated the factory in 1987 when it merged with the Schoenling Brewing Company.
Hudson River State Hospital is an abandoned mental institution in Poughkeepsie, New York, and was the first state hospital for the insane located on land received, by gift, from the citizens of the county. The site is being redeveloped into a mixed-use commercial, medical, and residential development.
Early & Daniel is an abandoned and partly demolished grain silo complex along Beekman Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Glencoe-Auburn was a collection of 19th-century rowhouses in the Mt. Auburn neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, characterized by single-colored pastel facades and a Gothic Revival-style hotel. It was Cincinnati’s first suburb.
Waldo Hotel is a defunct hotel in downtown Clarksburg, West Virginia.
Parkland School is a formerly abandoned school in the Parkland neighborhood of Louisville, Kentucky. It was renovated to house Family Scholar House, a non-profit organization that provides housing and support services for single-parent college students and their families.
Parkway Center Mall was an enclosed shopping center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It opened in 1982, closed in 2013, and mostly demolished in 2016.
Monsour Medical Center is a now-demolished hospital in Jeannette, Pennsylvania. Monsour was founded in 1952 by Howard, Roy, Robert and William Monsour as a roadside clinic in “Senator Brown’s Mansion” but was beset by years of controversy.
The Jeannette Glass Company is a former glass factory in Jeannette, Pennsylvania.
St. Peter’s Church is an abandoned and endangered Roman Catholic church in the Capitol Region of New York. The Parish was the third oldest in the state.
St. Joseph’s Church is a historic Gothic Revival church in Albany, New York. It is in a state of active stabilization. The current building was the second to hold the title in the city. The first structure was the third Roman Catholic church built in the city and the first north of downtown.
The East Nassau Hebrew Synagogue is an abandoned Hebrew congregation in New York. It was founded in 1956 by Rabbi Morris Appleman and was the first Orthodox Shul in the region.
The Spring Glen Resort is an abandoned resort in the Catskill Mountains of New York, operating from 1920 to 2007.
Millcom, a communication, consulting, and publishing firm located on the side of Prospect Mountain in New York, included a “floating” three-building complex that featured a koi pond with waterfalls and fountains, and spacious outdoor decks.
Sutton State Hospital is a partially abandoned state institution in New York. Portions of the complex continue to operate as the Sutton Psychiatric Center.
Rockland State Hospital is a partly abandoned and demolished state hospital in New York. Portions of the complex continue to operate as the Rockland Psychiatric Center. Additionally, the Rockland Children’s Psychiatric Center was used in the filming of Orange is the New Black television series.
The Syracuse State School is a former residential facility for the mentally disabled in New York.
Tioronda is an opulent mansion turned specialty mental hospital in New York.
The Penn-McKee Hotel is a former hotel in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. It is best known as hosting a debate between two future presidents, John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon, in 1947.
Union Station is an abandoned train station and office building that was used by the Monongahela Railway in downtown Brownsville, Pennsylvania.
Brownsville General Hospital is a long-abandoned hospital in Brownsville, Pennsylvania. After its closure in 1965, the buildings were reused for the Brownsville Golden Age Nursing Home until 1985.
A long-vacant pharmacy with upper-level apartments is located in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
Gladstone School is an abandoned school in the Hazelwood neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Recreation Farm Society, later called The Meadows, is an abandoned convalescent home in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
The Church of the Holy Innocents is an abandoned, historic Episcopal church near the Arbor Hill neighborhood in Albany, New York.
The Cincinnati, Columbus & Hocking Valley Railroad, later owned by the Ohio Southern, is a defunct railway between Sedalia and Kingman via Jeffersonville, Ohio. It was once proposed as a connection between Columbus and Cincinnati generally along what is now the Interstate 71 corridor.
The Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railway (DSS&A) served the upper peninsula of Michigan, namely to carry iron or copper ore to smelters and docks along the shores of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan.
Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad is a partly abandoned railroad in northern Michigan that mainly hauled iron ore. All of the lines east of Marquette were abandoned in 1979, with the exception of five miles of track that connects with the ex-Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic Railroad to a paper mill in Munising.
The Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad (CH&D) is a former railroad between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio, with a branch that extended into the coalfields of Jackson County.
Caesar Creek Township School is a closed school in Caesar Creek Township, Greene County, Ohio.
The Eastern Kentucky Railway (EK) is a former 36-mile railroad between Riverton (Greenup) and Webbville, Kentucky. Although it served several mines and early pig-iron blast furnaces, the EK was abandoned in 1933 during the height of the Great Depression.
St. Anthony High School, also known as East Catholic High School, is a former high school of the St. Anthony Roman Catholic parish at Sheridan Street and Farnsworth Street in Detroit, Michigan. It closed in 2005 and was demolished in 2012.
St. Agnes Church is a former Roman Catholic church in the LaSalle Park neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan. It was in use until 2006. The church was notable for hosting the Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta in 1979 when she established a Missionaries of Charity convent at the church.
The Fisher Body Company Plant No. 21 formerly produced automobile bodies for General Motors in Detroit, Michigan. The building has been abandoned since 1993.
Calvary Presbyterian Church is an abandoned circa 1918 church along Grand River Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It closed in 1991 when the congregation relocated to a more suburban location.
The Packard Automotive Plant is a former automobile manufacturing facility in Detroit, Michigan. Packard was known for their luxurious automobiles and the catchy slogan, “Ask the man who owns one.” The factory employed 40,000 at its peak. The once abandoned and collapsing plant is being selectively demolished and rehabilitated into new uses.
The Detroit Harbor Terminal is a ten-story cold storage warehouse along the Detroit River in Detroit, Michigan.
Castle Knoll is the former home of industrialist and politician Phineas P Mast in Springfield, Ohio. It later became a Knights of Pythias nursing home that relocated in 2006.
Miracle Acres Hotel is an abandoned resort in the Borscht Belt of the Catskill Mountains of New York.
Monticello Hospital is an abandoned medical center and nursing home in Monticello, New York.
The Catskill Lake Mansion House is an abandoned hotel in the Catskill Mountains of New York. It was the first summer resort in the county.
Euclid Square Mall is a former indoor shopping center in Euclid, Ohio. It opened in 1977 with two anchor stores, closed in 2016 and demolished in 2017-18.
The Regent Theater is a former theater on South Limestone Street in downtown Springfield, Ohio. It opened in 1920 and closed in 1992.
The Springfield City Hospital is a former medical center in Springfield, Ohio that was in operation between 1931 to 2011.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Russell YMCA provided overnight lodging, baths, meeting space, and other accommodations for railroad workers in Russell, Kentucky.
The Catlettsburg National Bank Building is a now demolished historic bank building in downtown Catlettsburg, Kentucky.
The Greenup Bridge formerly carried US Route 23 over the Little Sandy River in Greenup, Kentucky. It was demolished in 2011.
The Coal & Coke Railway (C&C) is a former railroad between Charleston, West Virginia and Elkins. It included branches that connected to many coal mines and coke ovens.
Norton, West Virginia is a former company town operated by the West Virginia Coal & Coke Company.
Coalton, West Virginia, located in Randolph County, is a former company town operated by the West Virginia Coal & Coke Company.
The Pines is an abandoned resort in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
The Yeager Estate is a historic mansion in the Catskill Mountains of New York.
The McMillian School was constructed circa 1910 to serve students in McMillian, Michigan.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) Greenbrier Division is a former railroad in the Greenbrier River valley in Greenbrier and Pocahontas County, West Virginia. The 101-mile line was one of the C&O’s primary branch lines for timber products and served more lumber companies than any other in the state.
The Marietta & Cincinnati Railroad (M&C) is a defunct railroad that connected Cincinnati, Ohio to Parkersburg, West Virginia. Through acquisitions during the 1800s, the M&C commanded over 270 miles of railroad, from Cincinnati to Marietta and south to Portsmouth and Hillsboro. The line was later absorbed into the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, becoming its mainline between Cumberland, Maryland, and St. Louis. Significant portions of the route have since been abandoned.
The Foundry at South Strabane is a former shopping center near Washington, Pennsylvania. Portions of the mall were abandoned and later demolished after the ground settled.
Washington Mall is a nearly vacant indoor shopping center near Interstates 70 and 79 in Washington, Pennsylvania. It was constructed by Stephen Richman and his partners, including his father, Ben, and Angelo and Phillip Falconi.
The Lonaconing silk mill, located in Lonaconing, Maryland, is the one of the last intact silk mills in the United States. Formerly operated by the Klotz Throwing Company and General Textile Mills Company, the complex is situated within the National Lonaconing Historic District. Due to its intact machinery, the mill has been nominated by the George’s Creek Watershed Association for the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s list of America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places.
An airplane graveyard, part of a private collection by the late Walter Soplata, is located in the United States.
Towne Mall is an ailing shopping center in Middletown, Ohio once anchored by Elder-Beerman, Sears, and McAlpin’s.
St. Mark Church is a former Roman Catholic church in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was dedicated to the Missionaries of the Precious Blood. During its first 50 years of operation, St. Mark’s had 24 priestly vocations, which included one bishop, two religious brothers, and 36 religious sisters.
Cass, West Virginia is a former company town constructed by the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company (WVP&P) for their paper mill and logging operations.
Mayview State Hospital is a former state mental institution in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. It closed in December 2008 and was demolished several years later.
Big Creek High School, the historic home of the Rocket Boys, is a now-demolished school near War, West Virginia. It gained national attention in the 1999 movie “October Sky.”
North Shore Road was a proposed two-lane scenic byway along the north shore of Fontana Lake at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains west of Bryson City, North Carolina. Only portions of the 34.3-mile route were completed.
Cincinnati Mall, formerly known as Forest Fair Mall and Cincinnati Mills, is an ailing shopping center in Fairfield, Ohio.
The Delaware Station of the Philadelphia Electric Company is a closed 468 MW coal-fired power plant along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Gary Negro Grade School and the Gary District High School is a former school for African-Americans in Gary, West Virginia, a former coal camp owned by United States Coal & Coke Company, a subsidiary of United States Steel.
Coalwood, West Virginia is a former company town founded by George Carter of the Carter Coal Company in 1905.
Caretta is a former company town in McDowell County, West Virginia. It is named after the transposed syllables of Mrs. Etta Carter, the wife of George Lafayette Carter, who founded Carter Coal.
Iaeger Graded and Junior High School building is located in Iaeger, West Virginia and was constructed in 1922. It later became home to Iaeger Intermediate before closing in 1999.
Glen Rogers is a former company town built by the Raleigh-Wyoming Mining Company in Wyoming County, West Virginia.
The Glen Rogers High School is a former school in the coal-centered community of Glen Rogers, West Virginia.
Trap Hill School is a former school that served the Trap Hill district in Surveyor, West Virginia between 1930 and the 2000s.
The Kentucky Union Railway (KU) is a former railroad that extended for 95 miles from Lexington to Jackson, Kentucky.
The Natural Bridge Tunnel is along the abandoned Kentucky Union Railway (KU) which extended for 95 miles from Lexington to Jackson, Kentucky.
The Warwick State Training School for Boys, near Chester, New York, opened in 1914 as the New York City Farm, a rehabilitation center for alcohol and drug dependent men. It then became the State Training School for Boys in 1933, focused on the rehabilitation of young men, and then as the Mid-Orange Correctional Facility in 1977. It closed in 2011.
The New York, Ontario & Western Railway (O&W, NYO&W) was a regional railroad that connected Oswego, New York to Weehawken Terminal in New Jersey. It is the first notable railroad in America to have its mainline entirely abandoned.
A gallery of abandoned train stations in the United States.
Molly Stark Sanatorium is a former tuberculosis hospital in Stark County, Ohio. Named after the wife of General John Stark, Molly Stark was constructed under the philosophy that sunlight and fresh air were necessary for patient recovery.
The Dollar Bank Building, later home to National City Bank and PNC, is an office building in downtown Youngstown, Ohio. Constructed in 1901-02, it was completely remodeled in 1972-75.
The Legal Arts Building is a uniquely styled and closed commercial building in Ohio. It was constructed for $2 million by Stephen Baytos in 1965 to house legal offices for the Mahoning County Courthouse. Its location was the site of a Sears Roebuck department store.
The St. Vincent De Paul Building, at Wick and Rayen Avenues in Youngstown, Ohio, was home to the Strouss’ Music Center for many years.
The Williamstown Colliery Tunnel is an abandoned circa 1874 railroad tunnel under Big Lick Mountain in Pennsylvania. The tunnel connected the Summit Branch Railroad to 19 underground coal veins and the vast Bear Valley coal fields.
The lots at Lisbon and Evins Street in Cleveland, Ohio included the Cleveland Rubber Company, the Glidden Varnish Company that grew to become one of the largest paint producers in America, the Gerson-Stewart Corporation, which produced cleaning compounds and sanitation chemicals, and the Strong, Cobb & Company that had become the largest custom formulator of pharmaceuticals in the nation. The property was also home to the Ohio Confection Company and the Pennsylvania Refining Company.
The Van Dorn Iron Works Company is a former factory on 79th Street in the Kinsman neighborhood of Cleveland, Ohio.
Fort Pitt Steel Casting is a now-demolished foundry that produced special carbon, ally, and stainless steel castings in McKeesport, Pennsylvania.
The Victor Brewing Company, a former brewery, was located in Jeannette, Pennsylvania. It was in operation from 1908 to 1941 and was then sold to Fort Pitt Brewery and remained in operation until 1955. The buildings were then used by the Papercraft Corporation until the mid-1970’s.
The Larimer School, named for William Larimer, Jr., who opened the first Conestoga wagon business in the area, is a former school in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Larimer later moved west and founded Denver, Colorado and Larimer City, Nebraska.
The Holy Trinity Church is a now-demolished Roman Catholic church in Duquesne, Pennsylvania. It was home to a Slovak congregation from 1901 to 1970.
The First Baptist Church is an endangered church in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. It was constructed in 1904, abandoned in 1990 and is set for demolition.
The Detroit Gray Iron Foundry is a now-demolished industrial foundry along the waterfront in Detroit, Michigan.
The Penn-Lincoln Hotel is a former hotel along Penn Avenue in downtown Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. Abandoned in 1995, the derelict tower was demolished in 2014.
The Westinghouse Flood Gate, located along Turtle Creek near East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, prevented catastrophic floods within the Turtle Creek valley.
The Buckeye School is a former school in Buckeye, Kentucky. The property was later used as a residence and for storage.
A gallery of abandoned fraternal organizations in the United States.
Youngstown, Ohio is the county seat of Mahoning County and is named for John Young, an early settler from New York. The city prospered for decades under heavy industrialization, chiefly steel mills. Closure of the mills in the 1970s led to major population losses and a sharp increase in poverty.
The remains of four iron furnaces, operated by the Lackawanna Iron Works, are located in Scranton, Pennsylvania. The company was instrumental in the production of nails and rails.
Bailey Park is a semi-abandoned recreational facility with an old baseball stadium in Youngstown, Ohio.
The Scranton Lace Company is a former lace manufacturer in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Also known as the Scranton Lace Curtain Company and the Scranton Lace Curtain Manufacturing Company, it was the largest manufacturer of Nottingham lace in the United States between 1916 and 2002.
Wean United is a former manufacturer of equipment that was used to process and finish flat-rolled steel, steel and iron rolls, iron castings, coupling boxes, annealing bottoms, and boxes and steam hydraulic forging presses in Youngstown, Ohio. It was equipped to produce castings and rolls weighing up to 100 tons.
The Wick Building is a formerly disused commercial building in downtown Youngstown, Ohio. It has been rehabilitated into market-rate apartments and extended stay units.
The Western Maryland Railway Laurel Subdivision is a partly abandoned railroad in the Allegheny Highlands of West Virginia. It is comprised of the Greenbrief, Cheat & Elk Railroad and the West Virginia Midland Railway.
The Baltimore & Ohio Richwood Branch extended from Clarksburg to Richwood, West Virginia, a distance of 121 miles. Much of the route was later abandoned.
The McNeel Mill is a former circa 1865 mill in Mill Point, West Virginia that ground cornmeal, cracked corn, and buckwheat. The building, after years of neglect, has been restored.
The Hotel Eddystone is a former hotel owned by the famed Lew Tuller at Sproat Street and Park Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. The tower, adjacent to the new Little Caesars Arena, is slated for redevelopment into apartments and first-floor retail.
Along Grand River Avenue in Detroit, Michigan were several large and notable shopping districts which have fallen by the wayside.
The Palmer Park Apartment Building Historic District is located in the Palmer Park neighborhood of Detroit, Michigan, and is well regarded for its ornate and varied examples of apartment buildings. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 with a boundary increase in 2005.
Company towns, operated by coal and timbers companies, helped sustain hundreds of mines and timber stands in West Virginia.