Bailey Park is a semi-abandoned recreational facility with an old baseball stadium in Youngstown, Ohio.
The city of Youngstown acquired land for Bailey Park on June 27, 1931. 2 In 1934, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was authorized to install baseball diamonds on vacant land in growing and stable neighborhoods in Youngstown with Bailey Park slated for significant improvements. 1
Over 100 WPA workers were employed in the upgrades at the park in 1935 and 1936. 1 In 1939, a new concrete and brick grandstand was erected. By 1940, Bailey Park featured six hardball and two softball diamonds. An enlarged stadium was dedicated on July 7, 1948. It was expanded upon again in 1959.
By the 1960s, Bailey Park sported 13 baseball diamonds, one lighted softball field, playgrounds, and a swimming pool.
As Youngstown declined in population, portions of Bailey Park were closed and abandoned. While Bailey Park today features three picnic pavilions, a hard baseball diamond, practice football field, playground, two tennis courts, and a basketball court, the grandstand and swimming pool remain in disuse.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- Fisher, Alex W. “Remembering Baseball in Battle Creek.” Heritage Battle Creek. N.p., 2009. Web. 9 Feb. 2014. Article.
- Bralich, John, and Center for Urban and Regional Studies. Norman “Nick” Johnson Park. N.p.: Youngstown State University, 2013. Web. 9 Feb. 2014. Article.