The circa 1898 Brookes Building was located at the southwest corner of 5th and Market Street in downtown East Liverpool, Ohio. It was razed in 2016 for a new apartment complex.
The Brookes Building was constructed in 1898 3 and housed Foutts Market on the first floor 2 and the Carroll Council No. 509 of the Knights of Columbus on the top floor. 3 Rinehart Clothier opened in 1902 on the first floor, 2 followed by the Bon-Ton in 1904 and later Robins & Sant. 3 The Ohio Valley Business College located on the 3rd floor after a fire destroyed their former location, the Reed Building, in February 1905. 2 4
The East Liverpool Community Partnership for Revitalization (ELCPR) began pursuing a developer in 2013 for a residential project that would encompass the Brookes Building and several others along Market Street. 6 After several proposals were heard, the Miller-Valentine Group was selected as the lead developer. Initial plans included restoring the Brookes Building into apartments but it was not found to be economically feasible. 9 Miller-Valentine instead proposed Market Street Lofts which would consist of 45 below-market apartments 6 targeted to those earning 60% of the county’s average median income of $34,000. 11 It would cost $10 million to build.
Miller-Valentine requested $2.2 million in federal housing tax credits and was awarded the full amount in June 2015. 6 A certificate of appropriateness was approved on November 2 by the Design Review Board, which granted approval for demolition of the buildings. 7 A certificate of appropriateness for the actual construction of the new lofts was granted on December 17. 8 On the same day, Miller-Valentine secured $1.5 million in a loan through the Housing Development Loan program via the Ohio Housing Finance Agency. 12
Demolition of the Brookes Building for Market Street Lofts began on July 12. 10
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- Bercik, Julie. “Demolition begins in East Liverpool for Market Street lofts.” WKBN-27 14 Sept. 2016: n.p. Web.
- 15th Annual Tri-State Pottery Festival, June 17, 18, 19, 1982. East Liverpool, 1982. East Liverpool Historical Society, article. 5 Dec. 2016.
- “Market Street Project.” East Liverpool Historical Society, article. 5 Dec. 2016.
- “Market Street Project 2.” East Liverpool Historical Society, article. 5 Dec. 2016.
- “Market Street Lofts project ready to get off the ground.” Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 21 Jun. 2016. Print.
- “Housing credits granted to East Liverpool project.”Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 18 Jun. 2015. Print.
- “Board wants changes to building designs.” Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 7 Nov. 2015. Print.
- “Board approves changes to building’s facade.” Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 20 Dec. 2015. Print.
- “Local company gets contract for demo work.” Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 21 Mar. 2016. Print.
- “Razers.”Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 13 Jul. 2016. Print.
- “Developer has lofty goals for Liverpool project.” Morning Journal [East Liverpool] 3 Feb. 2016. Print.
- Moses, Molly. “OHFA Board Approves More Than $15.6 Million to Help Finance Affordable Housing for Ohioans.” Ohio Housing Finance Agency, 17 Dec. 2015, press release.