Greenbrier High School
The Greenbrier High School consisted of two distinct properties, both demolished, in Ronceverte, West Virginia.
The first district school, a white-only one-room schoolhouse, was constructed on Greenbrier Avenue in 1875. 3 It was replaced with a more substantial brick school for white children on a different site in 1882. The original building was re-purposed for the town’s first school for black children. In 1887, the Maple Grove Colored School, a two-story facility, was built and the county’s graded school system was instituted a year later.
The Ronceverte High School was established in 1896. 1
On January 24, 1917, a new two-story, Neo-Classical Revival-style complex was constructed on Ronceverte Avenue (today’s Academy Avenue) for the Fort Spring District. 1
It was replaced with a two-story, Neo-Classical Revival-style building on Ronceverte Avenue in 1923. 3 The original high school was reused as an elementary school.
A fire in the men’s locker room, on January 31, 1938, necessitated reconstruction of the high school. 1 A $99,000 bond issue passed and a new two-story school, designed in the classical revival architectural style and constructed of yellow brick with concrete embellishments, opened.
Consolidation of the county’s high schools resulted in the construction of Greenbrier East High School and the closure of Greenbrier High School in the fall of 1968. 1 The high school building was reused as Greenbrier Junior High School until the fall of 1992. 2
Both school buildings were demolished in 2017.