John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital
John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital is a former medical center on West Main Street in Georgetown, Kentucky.
John Graves Ford, a grandson of Mrs. John B. Graves, was stricken with appendicitis in Georgetown in 1916 and was taken to a hospital in Lexington where he later died. To forestall the possibility of future occurrences, Graves jumpstarted funding for a new, local hospital by donating $35,000 towards such a construction fund. 3 4 Construction on the new medical center began later in the year and the John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital opened in 1917. 3
A new two-story addition, with a larger emergency room, was constructed in 1952, 5 followed by the erection of another wing, designed by Donald B. Shelton, in 1972 that added 20 patient rooms, two nurse stations, and a family room at the cost of $150,000. 4
John Graves Ford Memorial Hospital closed when the new Georgetown Community Hospital opened in 1984. 3
Edmund Karam purchased the former hospital in 1985 and renovated the original circa 1917 building into offices. 3 But with minimal upkeep, the entire hospital complex was condemned by the city in 1999. An Indiana company and a Louisville firm brought forth plans shortly after to convert the abandoned hospital into an assisted living community for senior citizens at the cost of $1.8 million, but the firms withdrew their plan in 2003 because of higher than expected renovation costs. 3
Unable to pay the fines levied by the city over the condition of the former hospital, Karam lost control of the property in July 2005. 1 2 The city’s Board of Adjustment voted to proceed with demolition plans for the site. 3
Asbestos abatement of the hospital began in April 2006 and the building was razed by May 2007. 3