The Louisville Varnish Company is an abandoned cabinet varnish factory in Louisville, Kentucky.
The Louisville Varnish Company founded as the Louisville Asphalt Mining and Importing Company in 1883 1 and by 1924, it had become the largest manufacturer of cabinet varnishes in the nation. 2
The factory at 14th and Maple streets was mostly destroyed in a fire during record-breaking floods on January 30, 1937. 3 4 A new one-story office building at 14th and Maple streets, designed by Walter C. Wagner, was finished in November 1937. Construction then proceeded to a new three-story building to house industrial operations.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- “Painting and Coating Industry.” The Encyclopedia of Louisville. Ed. John E. Kiebler. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2001. p. 683.
- “City Leads U.S. in Variou Commercial Fields.” Courier-Journal [Louisville], 17 Jun 1924, p. C4.
- “Louisville’s 1937 Private Building Doubles Last Year’s Volume.” Courier-Journal [Louisville], 7 Nov. 1937, p. 3.4.
- “Callahan to Rebuild Plant on New Site.” Courier-Journal [Louisville], 31 Jan. 1937, p. 1.