Newport Post Office
The former Newport Post Office, located in Newport, Kentucky, is being renovated into The Washington Grand, a ballroom and event centre.
The post office was dedicated on February 1, 1901, replacing a wood frame structure. The post office relocated to another location in 1969 and the building was renovated to serve as the Newport Independent School District’s administrative offices. 1 The renovation entailed the addition of a floor in between the first and second levels and covering over the windows with concrete.
The school district relocated its administrative offices in 2014. 1 The building was then acquired by Gene Martin for $250,000. Martin planned on rehabilitating the building into The Washington Grand, a ballroom dance studio and reception hall on a restored first floor, and a private residence on the second floor. Design work was completed by WORK Architecture + Design.