Located in rural Monroe County, West Virginia is Sinks Grove, named for the many sinkholes throughout the area.
The community of Sinks Grove, West Virginia was once known as Rocky Point, most likely named because it is overlooked by a large limestone mountain ledge known as Bickett’s Knob. 1 In 1845, Matthew Scott donated a tract of land near Rocky Point for the construction of a baptist church. As there were nearby sinkholes and groves of trees, the church was named Sinks Grove Baptist Church. Shortly after, the town changed its name to Sinks Grove.
At one point in the 1840s, Sinks Grove was the fourth largest town in Monroe County, and by 1888, it boasted a population of 400. 1
- Watchman, Monroe, and Charles B. Motley. “Sinks Grove.” Gleanings of Monroe County, West Virginia History, Commonwealth Press, Radford, VA, 1973, pp. 151-155.