St. Mary’s Episcopal Church is an abandoned and collapsing church in Braddock, Pennsylvania.
Designed by Charles M. Bartberger and constructed in 1901,1 St. Mary’s had a capacity for 500 worshippers. 2 The church, later used by Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ, closed in July 2007 due to a leaking roof that enabled mold growth. 2 Additionally, thieves stole 14 brass light fixtures, valued at $1,000 each, and three stained glass windows. The congregation applied for $10,000 from the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation’s Historic Religious Properties Committee to jump-start repairs to the roof, estimated to cost up to $51,000.
In 2009, the disused building was designated a Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation Historic Landmark.
- “Ecclesiastical.” The American Architect and Building News 71 (1901): VI. Print.
- Boren, Jeremy. “Historic-church projects task foundation.” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA) 29 Dec. 2007. NewsBank. Web. 31 Jan. 2016.