St. Michael Church is a former Roman Catholic church in Munhall, Pennsylvania. It was founded as a Slovak parish in 1897 and served the Slovakian community who tendered to Homestead Works of the Carnegie Steel Company.
In February 1896, a growing Slovakian population acquired land for a church in Homestead and constructed a wooden building. 1 It was initially visited by the pastor of St. Michael Church in nearby Braddock before being taken over by the Holy Ghost Fathers of Duquesne University in April 1897. The congregation, however, desired a priest who spoke Slovak and a parish committee was formed to locate such an individual. A seminarian in St. Paul, Minnesota was brought to Homestead, ordained on September 26, 1897, and assigned as pastor to St. Michael.
The congregation continued to grow, and plans were made for a larger church. In 1902 and 1903, property was purchased in neighbouring Munhall. 1 Plans for the new location was announced on May 12, 1907. The proclamation caused a split in the congregation, some of whom voiced opposition of the church’s move to another city.
In July 1908, the pastor left for a visit to Europe. 1 His temporary replacement, an English speaking priest, was brought in on August 12, which caused further dissent. A bishop was brought in to close the church until a Slovak-speaking pastor was made available—which did not occur until December 20. The uproar caused the parish to split, and a new congregation was formed, eventually becoming the St. Anne parish.
St. Michael’s church in Homestead was dismantled in 1909 and reassembled in Munhall, which served the congregation until 1925. 1 It was razed for a far more massive all-brick structure that was dedicated on December 11, 1927. Renovations in 1949 included the enlargement of the sanctuary and the installation of new altars. New stained glass windows were placed in 1950, and the baptistry was renovated in 1953. The statue of St. Joseph was added to the church tower in 1966.
As early as 1967, the congregation began to contract, partially as a result of the downsizing of the Homestead Works that began to bleed Munhall of its residents. The mill eventually closed in 1986 during a prolonged slump in the steel industry. By the 1990’s, Munhall could not support its numerous churches, and the decision was made to merge St. Michael with five other parishes to form St. Maximilian Kolbe parish in 1992. 1
St. Michael Church continued to operate, along with three other church buildings, but mounting expenses and a dwindling congregation forced the parish to close three buildings. The final mass at St. Michael Church was held on October 25, 2009, and it was officially closed on November 1. 1
Our Lady of Fatima parish in Carnegie, part of the Society of St. Pius X, made attempts to purchase the church building. 3 The Rev. Arnaud Rostand, the U.S. society superior, met with the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh in mid-2011 regarding the possible purchase, but the bid was rejected as the group was not Catholic. The Society, founded in 1970 by the late Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, was declared non-Catholic after Pope John Paul II excommunicated Lefebvre for consecrating four bishops in 1988.
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh offered the building for sale for $250,000 in 2012. 2
The rectory, convent and Parochial School were sold to developer Walter Viola who proposed rehabilitating the premises for commercial and residential uses. 3 4 Some residents initially rebuffed his efforts at the renovations, 4 although the proposals were ultimately accepted instead of the church being abandoned.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- “Saint Michael, Munhall.” Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh. 1 Jan. 2015. Web. 24 Apr. 2015. Article.
- Pitz, Marylynne. “Diocese Offers Former Church, 6 Schools, 2 Social Halls, Rectory, Convent for Sale.” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 5 May 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2015. Article.
- Cloonan, Patrick and Stacy Lee. “Group plans rosary march to support Munhall church purchase.” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 12 Oct. 2012. Web. 24 Apr. 2015. Article.
- Karan, Tim. “Munhall residents resist rezoning for new shop.” Tribune-Review 14 Nov. 2013. Web. 24 Apr. 2015. Article.