The Toronto Power Plant is a former coal combustion plant along the Ohio River in Toronto, Ohio. It consisted of seven generating units that were put into operation between 1925 and the 1940s.
The Toronto Power Plant was constructed by Ohio Edison and consisted of four generating units that were put into operation between 1925 and 1928. 1 Three additional units were constructed in the 1940s, which resulted in the construction of a 650-foot smokestack. 1 2
The four original units were taken out of service in 1970, and the remaining units were converted to burn tire pellets in an experiment in the 1990s. 1 The test proved to not be cost-efficient and the last three generating units were deactivated in 1993.
The smokestack of the Toronto Power Plant was imploded on November 1, 2008, 1 2 with demolition progressing on the remainder of the facility into 2009.
- Giannamore, Paul. “Toronto Edison demolition set.” Herald-Star (Steubenville) 28 Oct. 2008. 30 Oct. 2008 Article.
- “Powerful demolition.” Herald-Star (Steubenville) 4 Nov. 2008. 4 Nov. 2008 Article.