Upper Canada was an automobile and passenger ferry that operated between 1949 and 2000 in Canada.
Upper Canada, an automobile and passenger ferry, was built in Owen Sound, Canada, by Russel Brothers Limited for Restigouche Ferries. 1 2 Christened and launched on May 28, 1949, the Romeo & Annette entered service under the command of Captain Romeo Allard, who operated a ferry across the Bay of Chaleur between Bathurst, New Brunswick, and Gaspe Peninsula, Quebec. The 90-foot by 36-foot beam side loading boat could hold 12 cars and featured twin Cummins diesel engines with a total of 550 hp, which gave her a top speed of 10.5 kts.
In October 1965, the Romeo & Annette was purchased by the Ontario Department of Highways and sailed westward to Kingston, Ontario, where she arrived on October 11, 1965. 2 In the following spring, she had been renamed Upper Canada and was ready for service to serve as a second ferry between Kingston and Wolfe Island.
Both Upper Canada and its partner, the Wolfe Islander, were replaced in 1976 by the Wolfe Islander III, which could carry 50 automobiles, more than the other two combined. 2 Upper Canada was delivered to Leamington, where it served as a backup for the Pelee Islander with the Ontario Northland Marine Service. 1 2
When the new Jimaan went into service at Pelee Island in 1991, Upper Canada was sent to LaSalle where it was leased to the Beausoleil First Nation for service on Christian Island on Georgian Bay between 1996 and 2000. 1 2 In the fall of 1999, she was replaced by Sandy Graham and was returned to Leamington. Al Johnson took ownership of Upper Canada in 1999 and hauled the boat to Lorain, Ohio. Her registration expired in 2008, and the boat has been abandoned ever since.
- Frankhouse, Mark. “There’s a Ghost Ship Hidden in the Lake Erie Backwater Near Lorain, Ohio.” Ultimate Unexplained, 17 Aug. 2021.
- Johnson, Brian. “‘Romeo & Annette’; The life, times, and sad fate of the Ferry ‘Upper Canada’.” Thousands Island Life, Oct. 2021.