Athol, an abandoned mansion turned sanitarium in Baltimore, Maryland, burned to the ground on September 27, 2021.
The mansion, home of Charles J. Baker, was constructed in 1881. Baker was the proprietor of the Baltimore Window-glass, Bottle & Vial, which later became the Baker Bros. & Company. He was also a part of the Baltimore Car Wheel Company, the St. Clair-Scott Manufacturing Company, the Franklin Bank, and the Canton Company. At Canton, Baker was instrumental in securing the construction of the Union Railroad and Tunnel that allowed the Northern Central and Western Maryland railroads access to the tidewater terminals at Canton.
The house was acquired by Dr. Alfred Gundry and his sister, Edith E. Gundry, in 1900, and the property was converted to serve as the Gundry Sanitorium for the care of women who suffered from “nervous prostration or nervous exhaustion.”
The Gundry Sanitorium was acquired by Glass Hospital in February 1988. The newly renamed facility, Gundry-Glass Hospital, became a 29-bed inpatient center for children aged 4 to 12 who suffered from acute psychiatric problems. On August 17, 1997, Gundry/Glass Hospital closed and laid off 130 employees.