This is a gallery of abandoned residences in Virginia.
Felix Hull House
The Felix Hull House was built circa 1855 in the Greek Revival architecture for Felix Hull. 1 During the Civil War, his widow, Eliza Mathews Hull, was living here on May 7-8, 1862, when the house was commandeered for use as headquarters by Union Brig. Gen. Robert H. Milroy and his superior, Brig. Gen. Robert C. Schenck. On May 9, after the Battle of McDowell on Sitlington’s Hill, the victorious Maj. Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson made his headquarters here. He pursued the Union army westward, then returned here on May 14 for the night before heading to Staunton.
The last owner of the Felix Hull House passed away a few years ago, and the property has languished ever since.
- “Felix Hull House.” The Historical Marker Database, 9 May 2021.