The Alderson Academy is a former Baptist-affiliated school in West Virginia. After its merger with Broaddus College in Philippi, the Alderson campus was mothballed. Two other colleges reused the building before the structure was abandoned in the 1990’s.
The Alderson Baptist Academy, a private school for young men and women, had its roots at George Alderson, the last surviving trustee of the Alleghany Baptist College at Blue Sulphur Springs.1 One of his two children, Emma Alderson, sought to reopen the school. Partnering with the Reverend John C. Killian, then minister of the Greenbrier Baptist Church, the Alderson Baptist Academy opened on September 18, 1901, 1 with the first graduation held in June 1903. 4
During the years of no public high schools, the Alderson institution flourished. 2 Students were able to receive their secondary education. But facing the rise of public high schools that could offer the same education for free, Alderson turned the school over to the West Virginia Baptist General Association in 1911. The school struggled with admissions and financial numbers until 1918, when it added two-year college-level courses, becoming the Alderson Junior College. 1
The college attempted fundraising towards a new school building. 1 J. Carey Alderson of Logan put forth $80,000, and George W. Jones of Red Star sent over $25,000 towards the effort. In 1924, a new $200,000 four-story brick building was completed. 2
By 1930, the college had its peak enrollment of 412 students. 1 Financial difficulties during the Great Depression forced the consolidation of Alderson Junior College with Broaddus College on October 15, 1931.
Broaddus College, founded in Winchester, Virginia as the Winchester Female Institute in 1871 by Edward Jefferson Willis, 1 was renamed the Broaddus Female College in 1875 after the Reverend William Broaddus, a prominent minister during the American Civil War. In response to a downturn in the local economy, the college moved to Clarksburg, West Virginia in 1876.
Management of Broaddus fell under the West Virginia Baptist General Association in 1885, and the name of the school became Broaddus College. 1 It became co-educational in 1888. In 1894, the school was renamed to the Broaddus Classical and Scientific Institute. Financial issues forced the closure of the school for a few years until the debts were paid off. In 1909, the renamed Broaddus College school relocated to Philippi as that town had donated land and a building for a new campus.
Both Alderson Junior College and Broaddus College shared common religious affiliations and missions, and the merger meant that they could share resources and students in the joint campus at Philippi. 1
After the merger, the former Alderson campus was mothballed. 2 Armstrong College, founded by Dr I.B. Bush of Charleston, operated out of the building from 1932 until it dissolved in 1935. 4
A 25-member state committee inspected the building on May 25, 1948, with the goal of using the 50-acre complex as a state vocational camp. It would be used for the state’s Future Farmers of America and Future Homemakers clubs and be patterned after the Four-H camp at Jackson’s Mill. On July 30, the camp committee voted in favour of a site at Elkins. 3
In 1953, the building was purchased for $40,000 by a group of independent Baptists to run the Mountain State Baptist School. 4 Opened on August 29, 1955, the new school faced immense difficulties: a lack of working capital, accreditation, and awareness, as did its strict rules. While students were prohibited from gambling, drinking or smoking, which were standard rules at the time, the dis-allowance of watching movies and dancing led to low enrollment.
Mountain State Baptist School operated until the 1980’s. The building was then used as rental apartments into the mid-1990’s.