The Pennsylvania Railroad YMCA in East Canton, Ohio served railroad workers for the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway (PFW&C). It provided overnight lodging, baths, meeting space and other accommodations for railroad workers. The PFW&C was operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad Eastern Division.
In September 1918, the Pennsylvania Railroad, under its western lines division, awarded a contract to the Walbridge-Aldinger Company of Detroit, Michigan to construct an engine house, engine terminal facilities and support structures, including a YMCA, in East Canton. 1 The YMCA was completed in 1920. 2
After the YMCA’s closure, the building was used as part of a junkyard and vacated circa 2012. The complex was demolished in 2017.
[su_spoiler title=”Further Reading” icon=”caret”]
[/su_spoiler][su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- “Construction News.” Railway Maintenance Engineer. Vol. 14. Chicago: Simmons-Boardman, 1918. 322. Print.
- “Data For Parcel 239729.” Stark GIS. N.p.: n.p., n.d. N. pag. Stark GIS. Web. 18 Dec. 2015. Database.