The Superior Portland Cement Company was organized in 1906 with a capital stock of $10,000, which was later raised to $525,000 in accordance with its original intentions. 7 The company purchased the remains of Center Furnace, which converted raw materials, such as coke or charcoal, limestone, and air into pig iron, 2 and 7,500 acres of land, for $100,000, and erected on the site a cement mill by 1907. 3 The mines featured seams that were six feet thick, and the mill was capable of handling 2,000 barrels per day. 6
The New York Coal Sales Company of Columbus acquired Superior Portland Cement in 1932 and was operated as a wholly-owned subsidiary. 3 The subsidiary was dissolved on January 1, 1949, becoming the Superior Cement Division of the New York Coal Sales Company. The division was sold to Marquette Cement Manufacturing Company on January 4, 1954. 5
Citing labor disputes, Marquette closed its Superior operations in 1986. On March 28, 1988, Kosmosdale purchased the former cement plant and landholdings but never reopened the site. 4
- Industrial Commission of Ohio. “Superior Portland Cement.” Annual Mine Report. Vol. 35. Springfield: Springfield Publishing, 1910. 232. Print.
- Cox, Nicole. “What do the furnaces have to do with the cement industry?!?” Lawrence County Iron Furnaces. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Aug. 2014. Article.
- “Superior Cement Plant Employees 250 Workers on Tract of 7,500 Acres.” Ironton Tribune Centennial Edition. N.p.: n.p., 1949. N. pag. Print.
- Limited Warranty Deed, dated March 28, 1988.
- Limited Warranty Deed, dated January 4, 1954.
- “Superior Cement Company.” Ohio Magazine 3 (1906): 166. Print.
- “Mack, C.J.” Ohio Law Bulletin 62 (1917): 455-456. Print.