Walnut Creek School is an abandoned school in upstate New York.
The first classes in Walnut Creek were held in a one-room schoolhouse on Main Street circa 1823 and later replaced by a two-story building in the early 1860s. 1 The town’s first dedicated grade school opened on Babcock Avenue in 1897.
The local school board purchased land for a junior-and-senior high school on Main Street in 1916 and construction of the new Walnut Creek Junior-Senior High School began in 1920. 1 The new gymnasium opened to the public during a boys basketball game on December 22, 1921, while the new school was finished until mid-January 1922. 2
A much larger high school was built on the outskirts of Walnut Creek in 1958-60 and the former building was repurposed for grades three through six until the 1970s. 1 3
- “Our Village’s History.” Village of Silver Creek, 11 Jun. 2002.
- “High School News.” Silver Creek News, 4 Jan. 1922, p. 1.
- “Monstrosity on Main Street.” Observer [Dunkirk], 19 Jul. 2016.