This is a gallery of abandoned and forgotten communities in Indiana.
Gary, Indiana, was founded in 1906 by United States Steel (USS) as the home for its new Gary Works. The city was named after the founding chairman of USS, Elbert Henry Gary. The steel industry provided the city with rapid growth and a diverse population, but by the 1960s, foreign competition caused USS to lay off workers from its Gary Works. The mill, which had employed over 30,000 in 1970, declined to just 6,000 by 1990 and 5,000 by 2015.
The city’s population dropped subsequently, going from a peak of 178,320 in 1960 to 80,000 in 2010.
Modoc, Indiana, is located along the former Indiana, Bloomington & Western Railway, which was constructed through the town in 1878. The community of less than 200 is named after the Modoc Indian tribe, who were traditionally located in northern California. The tribe was noted for resisting the United States military during the Modoc War, which ended in 1873.