Windsor School is a former school located in the Walnut Hills neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Windsor School was designed by Henry E. Siter 5 and constructed in 1888. 4 A gymnasium was added in 1918.
As early as 1971, Windsor was on the list of schools that should be replaced or closed due to inadequate wiring, faulty pipes, crowded conditions, and poor restrooms. 3 Only eight toilets served 380 children and 27 teachers. 4 The school closed in June 2004 as part of the district’s ten-year plan to rehabilitate or rebuild nearly every facility within the city. 4 Because of declining enrollment, the school merged with Douglass School before relocating completely to a new $10.8 million complex on Kemper Road in 2006.
The Windsor School building was auctioned in July 2009 and the John J. Schiff III Foundation acquired the complex for $225,000. 2 It had proposed rehabilitating the buildings for art glass studios and workshops for its Neusole Glassworks gallery and offices.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” icon=”caret”]
- Wiechert, Brian. “City considers adding ‘haunted’ Walnut Hills school to historic landmark list.” FOX 19: 1. 12 Mar. 2014. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
- Fischer, Ben. “Bids for Schools Raised: Sold!” Cincinnati Enquirer Jul 14 2009. ProQuest. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
- Mrozowski, Jennifer. “Students, Teachers Say Emotional Farewell to Windsor.” Cincinnati Enquirer May 29 2004. ProQuest. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
- Bronson, Peter. “Clunker Schools.” Cincinnati Enquirer Jan 27 2003. ProQuest. Web. 11 Apr. 2014.
- Mike, Boyer. “Developers converting classrooms to condos.” Cincinnati Enquirer Nov 11 2005. ProQuest. Web. 14 Apr. 2014.